fedora 11: (testing results) fyi

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Feb 11 14:54:56 UTC 2009

gary artim wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> gary artim wrote:
>>> Bill -- what OS where you running on KVM? Just curious cause I have
>>> some users that run xp under vmplayer and am looking to switch to KVM.
>>>
>> I run KVM on FC9 with whatever comes with on a quad Intel Q9400, and that's
>> where I did my test install. I'm going to try the live CD later today, and
>> if it works well I'll install on a laptop, since it can't really hurt
>> anything.
>>
>> I also run FC9 on my dual-core AMD Acer laptop, KVM works there, and on a
>> hacked FC6 system with dual-core i6600 and a more recent version of KVM (65
>> from memory). That runs the system I'm writing on, which is RH8 upgraded in
>> stages to FC9.

>> --
>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>  "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>>
>> --
>>

> are you running WinXP under kvm? -- gary

Well, to the extent that I have done the install as a proof of concept, and it
looked okay to me. I'm not running XP at all for anything, the only Windows in
my life is 98SE, and that runs (crawls, actually) in emulation under qemu, but
doesn't work right in hardware assisted KVM. Avi told me it had to do with doing
too much in real mode, which wasn't handled properly.

I have a Win7 I intend to install soon, I'm told by other that it will work
under FC9.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>