Audio problem

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Feb 12 01:27:44 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 23:44, JD wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2009 22:08, JD wrote:
> >> Dear list,
> >> I am running FC7, kernel 2.6.23.17-88.
> >> It has been fine for more than 2 years.
> >> Yesterday, the audio stopped working.
> >> I thought it was the HW.
> >> I booted into WinXP and tested the audio,
> >> Audio was fine.
> >>
> >> How do I debug this problem to find out the cause?
> >
> > Well Fedora core 7 is old, but I'm posting from Fedora core 2, so as far
> > as I'm concerned, if it is still working, and your happy with it, keep
> > using it.
> >
> > Back to your sounds. Can you post the output from the following commands,
> > which will show if the soundcard is being detected, and if the necessary
> > modules are being loaded,
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
> >
> > It's worth also opening alsamixer in Gnomes terminal, or KDE's Konsole,
> > if you're using KDE like me, and see if all the necessary sliders are
> > still up (Master, Front, PCM, CD), and that none of these controls are
> > muted (The M key toggles the mute/unmute).
> >
> > Have you plugged a new audio related device into the USB (webcam, usb
> > midi keyboard, etc). The usb starts early in the boot process, and alsa
> > can detect these devices as soundcards, and set them as card0, thus
> > stopping your actual soundcard using the card0 slot, resulting in no
> > sounds.
> >
> > Just a few thoughts for a start.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> OK, here is the output, but it looks same as I have
> always seen it:
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
>                       SiS SI7012 with ALC655 at irq 18
>  1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - SiS SI7013 Modem
>                       SiS SI7013 Modem at irq 18
> # /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0m          23377  0
> snd_seq_dummy          11461  0
> snd_intel8x0           39657  4
> snd_ac97_codec        116633  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus               10817  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_seq_oss            37185  0
> snd_seq_midi_event     14913  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                56673  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq_device         15061
> 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            47553  0
> snd_mixer_oss          22721  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                80585  5
> snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              27721  3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    59753  16
> snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_devic
>e,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer soundcore              14945
> 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc         16337  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>

> The only NEW item I have plugged in over 2 weeks ago has been
> a BLUETOOTH stick for my bluetooth mouse. But that did not disable
> [...]

Well nothing looks out of order from the above output.

Are you using Gnome, or KDE?

I know on KDE if there are problems with the sounds you get a warning message
when you login. Not sure about Gnome. Do you see any such messages?

If you are seeing no messages about problems with the sounds, it's possibly a
problem with alsamixer's controls, some control that has become muted
perhaps.

I know that on one of my installs, that uses KDE, the volume control in the
panel has sometimes selected the wrong soundcard. I see you have 2
soundcards, one for the actual soundcard, and one for the modem. If you right
click on the volume control in the panel, you can select which card you want
the volume control to be used for. Why this should have changed though,
causing you to lose the sounds is beyond me. It's worth a look though.

As I say I'm not too clued up about Gnomes volume control, but you may find
something similar there, if you are using Gnome.

Apologies If my efforts are not resolving your problem.

Nigel.