missing library, cannot run vi

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 12 05:22:30 UTC 2009

David Antonio Garcia Campos wrote:

> I've tried to install the library but my yum cannot find it. below
> it's what i've done.
>
> [davidga at localhost RD]$ vimdiff
> vimdiff: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot
> [davidga at localhost RD]$ vi
> vim: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open
> [davidga at localhost RD]$ sudo su
> bash: /etc/profile.d/java.sh: Permission denied
> bash: ======================: command not found
> [root at localhost RD]# yum install libgpm.so.1
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, priorities, refresh-packagekit
>  * livna: livna.cat.pdx.edu <http://livna.cat.pdx.edu>
>  * fedora: less.cogeco.net <http://less.cogeco.net>
>  * kde-redhat-all: kdeforge.unl.edu <http://kdeforge.unl.edu>
>  * kde-redhat: mirror.unl.edu <http://mirror.unl.edu>
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: astromirror.uchicago.edu
> <http://astromirror.uchicago.edu>
>  * rpmfusion-free: mirror.liberty.edu <http://mirror.liberty.edu>
>  * fedora-debuginfo: fedora.mirror.iweb.ca <http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca>
>  * freshrpms: ayo.es6.freshrpms.net <http://ayo.es6.freshrpms.net>
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree: astromirror.uchicago.edu
> <http://astromirror.uchicago.edu>
> Setting up and reading Presto delta metadata
> No Presto metadata available for atrpms
> No Presto metadata available for planetcore
> No Presto metadata available for livna
> No Presto metadata available for fedora
> No Presto metadata available for kde-redhat-all
> No Presto metadata available for kde-redhat
> No Presto metadata available for atrpms-bleeding
> No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
> No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-free
> No Presto metadata available for fedora-debuginfo
> No Presto metadata available for freshrpms
> No Presto metadata available for planetccrma
> No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree
> Excluding Packages from ATrpms - x86_64 - Stable
> Finished
> 369 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package libgpm.so.1 available.
> Nothing to do
>
> any suggestions?

You don't say what version of fedora you are running.  But, in any case
the package gpm provides that library.  So, use yum to install gpm and
see where you stand after that.

--
Every cloud engenders not a storm. -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"
Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg