Please help! Lost my LVM VG...

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 18:42:38 UTC 2009

Andrew Junev wrote:
> I'm prompted to enter a root password to get to system maintenance, or
> Ctrl+D to continue.
>
> In the system maintenance I can see there's /dev/VolGroup00 but
> there's no /dev/VolTerabytes00, so my newly-created VG seem to be
> missing!

Running the command:

vgchange -ay VolTerabytes00

Should activate the VG, assuming that all PVs are present (and any
needed modules have been loaded).

> I tried running lvm and it says "Locking type 1 initialisation failed"
> no matter what command I enter...

Check that the file system providing /var has been mounted and is
writable.

Assuming it's part of / you probably just need to run:

mount -n -oremount,rw /

Regards,
Bryn.