Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 12 23:03:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 16:29 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> ----
> >> never tried it but possibly mt-daapd package
> >>
> >> Freshmeat.net suggests things like 'firefly' and 'tangerine'
> >>
> >> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=daap&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
> >>
> >> but I've not used any of them
> > ----
> > fwiw - I installed mt-daapd package (which is apparently what they now
> > call 'Firefly') and it works.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> Thanks Craig. I'll let you know how it works with the WMB45G after
> it gets here.
----
curiously enough, iTunes on my Windows desktop system sees the shared
daap server but times out when connecting. Songbird on that very same
computer (had to add daap-client application) connected right away and
played music no problems from the mt-daapd server.

Rhythmbox on my Linux desktop connected and played music from the
mt-daapd server with little coaxing required (which I sort of expected)
but also gags when trying to play music from the same iTunes/Windows
setup. Turning Windows Firewall off or poking hole in firewall on port
3689 (both tcp & udp) didn't make any difference either way (which makes
sense since Songbird worked).

So it seems as though everything played nicely together except my
Windows based iTunes. I'll check out the Windows version on my netbook
but it's nice to have the Songbird fallback because what makes sense to
me is to leave the netbook plugged into my surround sound system
sometimes. Then again, normally I boot into Linux on my netbook and
Rhythmbox will clearly work.

Craig