Firefox Faster In Wine Than Native (was Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux)

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 13 20:37:03 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> So apparently I wasn't just imagining that Firefox on Linux/Fedora is
> stupidly slow. Firefox is actually faster in Wine that on Linux
> instead.

ok. someone missed a previous post.

also, msbsos users are complaining about slow and eating resources.

from previous post;

<paste>

} Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:10:13 -0500
} From: paul s <fedora-list at queuemail.com>
} To: fedora-list at redhat.com
} Subject: Re: Firefox Running Slow in Linux

[snip]

Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for it’s cache feature

Try this:

1) Type “about:config” (no quotes) in the address bar in the browser.
2) Find “browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers”
3) Set it’s value to “0“;(Zero)

Increase the Speed in Which Firefox loads pages

1) Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit Enter. (Normally the
browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable
pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page

2) Alter the entries as follows:
Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 10.

This means it will make 10 requests at once.

3) Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New->Integer. Name it
“nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0“;.(Zero)

This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on
information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll
load pages faster now.

Optionally (for even faster web browsing) here are some more options for
your about:config (you might have to create some of these entries by
Right Click –> New– >Interger or String

“network.dns.disableIPv6”: set “false”
“content.notify.backoffcount”: set “5”; (Five)
“ui.submenuDelay”: set “0”; (Zero)

Reduce RAM usage to 10mb when Firefox is minimized

This little hack will drop Firefox’s RAM usage down to 10 Mb when minimized:

1) Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then
press Enter.
2) Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
3) In the box that pops up enter “config.trim_on_minimize”. Press Enter.
4) Now select True and then press Enter.
5) Restart Firefox.

These simple tweaks will make your web browsing with Mozilla Firefox at
least twice as fast and it's a pretty simple thing anybody can do.

[/snip]

</paste>

i will find out tonight when i try them.

--
peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****