[ot] end 'community ass'

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Feb 14 05:13:40 UTC 2009

g wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>> Your numbers are misleading....
>>

> depends if you count '" "' and '.'. and my count was in error.
>
> Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora
> 1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
>
> if using "fedora-list" or "fedora-support", only '""' is used and
> '.' is dropped, so count would be 65.

That isn't what I meant by "misleading".  If I were to quibble over the
difference between a few characters I would have used the word "inaccurate".

>> The phrase "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using
>> Fedora." contains 68 characters
>>

> in total, true. but could count as actually 64/65. see above.

Who cares?   Again, it is quibbling....
>> and appears twice in the headers.  (I
>> don't count your repeating the entire phrase.)
>>

> wrong. nor was i.
>
> from headers:
>
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
> Fedora."List-Id: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using
> Fedora."

FWIW,  I was using the message that arrived from you...and it would seem
you have trimmed the "To" where I had not....up until now.   Yet, that
only adds another 68 characters to a message.

So, if I take "my" first message in response to "your" first message I
get....

Total                              =  6161 char
Headers with phrase 3    =    204 char    3.3%
Your signature               =     515 char    8.4%
>> Too late....  :-)
>>
>> However....  When we look at your signature the story is quite
>> different....  It contains about 515 characters or 9.4% of the entire
>> message.   So, one has to wonder where the greater "offense" lies?
>>

> it is not intended as an offense. but it really does burn ms users
> in mozilla list of 'support firefox' and 'support thunderbird', along
> with 'news.mozilla' group. :)
>

>> FWIW, neither of these two "issues" bothers me...only the act of
>> bringing them up.  :-)
>>

> did not mean to bother you. for some reason it just jumped out at me
> tonight more than it has before, and i thought i might see it others
> had noticed such and felt about 'community' use.

I think you are trying to point out that the list title is consuming too
much space/bandwidth/resources or whatever.

I'm just saying that compare that with bloated signatures...and then
determine what to rail against.

Yes, I am bored on a Saturday afternoon....

FWIW, a while back there was a "poll" of sorts done on this very list to
see what people wanted to call it since some folks had issues with the
former name...and what you find objectionable is the very one the
"community" selected.  :-)   (At least that is my recollection....)

But, yes...as I said...  I'm bored....(or boring) and there seems to be
no reason to continue this....