TV card without sound

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Feb 14 17:06:31 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:

> My Hauppauge TV Express card (bt878a, using the bttv driver) came with a short
> jumper cable to connect sound out from the tv card to line in on the
> soundcard, and the tv card has 2 1/8th jacks. One for line in, and the other
> for line out.
>
> I see that your cat /proc/asound/cards shows 3 cards including one for the
> sound on the tv card. Fedora 10 has pulseaudio installed as default , and
> alsamixer, opened as alsamixer only shows the pulseaudio volume control. Open
> alsamixer as below, and you may find muted controls for the tv card, or some
> slider that needs to be pushed up.
>
> <quote>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                       HDA ATI SB at 0xfbcf0000 irq 16
>  1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
>                       HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbee8000 irq 19
>  2 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
>                       Conexant CX8801 at 0xfc000000
> <end quote>

I also have a Haupauge card with the line out. I have to control it
using hte line in of the sound card. It does not output sound
directly, even though it is listed in /proc/asound/cards.

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
                      ATI IXP rev 0 with AD1888 at 0xfe800000, irq 17
 1 [Bt878          ]: Bt87x - Brooktree Bt878
                      Brooktree Bt878 at 0xdfd00000, irq 16

Mikkel