kde 4.2 pulse audio eradicate

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Feb 14 18:51:31 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 19:31, Minson, John M Mr CTR wrote:
> OK  heres a horse thats been beat a lot
>
> how do I completely eradicate pulse audio ?
>
> with out going into lots of ugly details sound only works on amarok and
> notifications .
> kmplayer using xine or mplayer no sound
> youtube no sound
>
> 'mukltimedia settings' set to the correct device (SB Live)

Hi John.

To disable pulseaudio, simply run the command below as root.

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If you are using KDE this will also remove kde-settings-pulseaudio

Don't try removing all the pulseaudio rpm's, as one at least wants to remove a
bunch of deps, and can screw up the sounds completely.

Removing the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package will mean that your audio apps
should be accessing alsa directly, as they were on Fedora versions (pre F8),
before pulseaudio entered the equation.

Nigel.