Advice on changing to 64 bits

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sun Feb 15 13:00:35 UTC 2009

On 02/14/2009 03:43 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> x86 is a very different story than the Alpha. x86_64 adds more registers,
> which is already enough to boost program speed (fewer memory accesses
> needed). x86_64 also means at least SSE and SSE2 are guaranteed to be
> there, so you also benefit from those, whereas on 32-bit x86 only a few
> libs have sse2 versions available.

I realize, but my recent testing was with x86_64 chips (and IA64 chips).
The bottom line is that while x86_64 should be faster, because of their
are 8 more registers than the 32-bit version, as well as SSE and SSE2,
and linear memory addressing. But, there are still applications that run
better in 32-bits. In my benchmarks my companies product ran much slower
on the IA64 than on the x86_64 (in 32-bit mode), but after profiling we
found it did a lot of jumps. But, comparing, Alpha, x86_64, IA64 is
certainly not good comparisons. My benchmarks also indicated that
running a 32-bit application on x86_64 hardware with a 32-bit OS was
slower than the same application on a very similar box with a 64-bit OS.
But, for the most part, 64-bits is a win.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix