[ot] end 'community ass'

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sun Feb 15 16:56:35 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
>> I understand that there has been a discussion about the matter on this
>> mailing list, however, i am wondering whether the fact that these headers
>> would contribute to the way google sees the archive was considered ? What i
>> mean is, compare:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+help
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+community
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+assistance
>>
> Seriously, if you have a problem would you be likely to put any of those into
> the searchbox?

ehe ...that's *exactly* point i was trying to make, in case you missed it.
Starting with the most likely, but not relevant query (fedora+help) to the least
likely but most relevant query (community+assistance+fedora), to match an actual
post in our archives.

To be more explicit, I am more likely to use:

http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+help+with+wireless
(which does *not* show any posts from the list, although it should)

  ... than use ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+community+assistance+with+wireless
(which *does* show up posts from the list, but is the least likely to occur)

> The matter of changing the name was discussed on this list.  Reasons were
> given for the need for a change.  The community that followed the thread had
> their say.  The decision was based on that.  It's called 'democracy'.  Live
> with it.
I didn't get to vote ! ...naa, actually, i wasn't part of the 'community' at
that time. So, yeah, thanks, i'll live with it, till the next round of voting. :)

regards,
- steve

--
Linux Centric Marketplace: http://www.tuxcompatible.com