[RANT] Installed F10 - X performance went into the crapper

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 15 17:56:50 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 21:50 -0800, john wendel wrote:
>> <Rant mode>

>> With FC6, I ran KDE 3.5 without any problems. I could drag and resize
>> windows without glitches, scrolling was slow but basically usable, and
>> Vim in a console (where I spend most of my time) was pleasant to use.
>>

> ----
> obviously you're feeling the effects of swap
>
> you should open a terminal running 'top' to see where the memory & cpu
> power is being siphoned rather than just speculating.
>
> Craig

Good guess, but no cigar. Believe it or not, the box (almost) never uses
swap space. I know the box is weak, so I'm careful how I use it. I don't
have any services running, and I (mostly) never run more than one app at
a time. Actually, the FC6/KDE system used a lot more memory than
F10/XFCE but it worked fine.

Regards,

John