Friendly backup utility

RDB techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Mon Feb 16 00:11:20 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 February 2009 18:23:17 Steven Stern wrote:
> I just got a 1TB WD MyBook and am looking for an easy way to use it to
> back up my desktop machine.  I'm currently backing /home to another
> machine on the network using rsync scripts,  but for a full system
> backup, I'd like something a bit more graphical. I've seen reference to
> TimeVault, but there doesn't appear to be a Fedora build.
>
> Is there a nice, GUI fronted backup utility?
Hello,
Sorry for not answering your question directly, but why do you need GUI
frontend ?

I use rsnapshot, which uses rsync, but can do incremental backup utilizing
hard links. I set it up once to backup my machines, and it runs automatically
every day with cronjob. This way you don't need to remember to actually _do_
the backup. A GUI frontend would not be necessary in this case.

For the recovery, one can set up a read-only network mounted of the backup,
then use file manager of choice as a GUI to access the backup file.

In your case, if you want to set up the backup to the MyBook drive, you can
set that rsnapshot mount the drive as read/write right before it does the
backup, then un-mount it after it does the backup. Then you can have another
read-only mount point to access the backup file with some File Manager if
necesary.

RDB