KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Martín Marqués martin.marques at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 17:13:39 UTC 2009

2009/2/16 Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>:
> Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:
>
>> Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > Took a quick look at http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/ and on the surface
>>  > seems like a reasonable direction/idea.  So, not quite sure as to why
>>  > you may consider this to be a big issue.
>>
>> If every applications starts its own copy of mysql\
>
> In this caes, it's one mysql instance for akonadi, which all akonadi-using
> apps will share (per user, by default).

I think he was talking about other apps (non-KDE ones). Say I start
emacs and it want's to store cache and configuration info in a mysql
database, or I want to use rythmbox (which is a GNOME app) and GNOME
start's it's own mysql instance.

IMHO, this is the beginning of the end of KDE

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador