KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:49:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> By your comment one would think that installing mysql-server brings
> some great evil with it.

Maybe not that bad, but one might legitimately feel dirty because of it, anyway.

In a similar case for me, I had a web server which was fully driven by
postgresql. Everything on the server that needed a database used pg.
Then I had to configure it to run a mail server, and some component of
that required MySQL.

I unfortunately didn't have time to compile it from source or research
alternatives. So today, my postgresql server has MySQL installed just
to satisfy some dependency. Not evil; I just would not have preferred
it that way.

-Alan