KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Feb 17 14:41:17 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 20:59:05 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 20:33 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > You could always stop akonadi then do a Save Session, but something must
> > be using it, or you have started it through systemsettings, if that's
> > possible, so be careful that you are not going to break something you
> > want.
>
> Anne, I also have akonadi running but have no idea why:

So have I.

I've learned a bit more about this over the last 24 hours.  It seems that the
server listens for requests from many applications.  Client instances are
opened, one per active user, as and when required.  I take it that that means
that we have one low-resource application running (listening) in readiness for
developments.  As I said, at the moment I'm not aware of using anything
akonadi-based.  I've no doubt, though, that over the coming months
developments in various apps will start to use this.  With the efficiency gains
to be expected, they are certain to.

I've seen no evidence to suggest that there is any performance hit or any
other issue with the current situation, so I'll happily sit back and wait for
the goodies to arrive :-)

Anne