Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10 (solved)

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Feb 17 19:19:50 UTC 2009

I not only wanted to send a 'Solved' post, but pieced together a step by
step on how to do this from all the posts...

Copy/Rename the FDI file...
cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi \
  /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi

edit this file (11-synaptics.fdi) as indicated in the thread appropriate
section for your touchpad (you can discover which touchpad section by
'cat /proc/bus/input/devices')

Reboot

I added:
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge>
(allowing 'on the fly' shutting on and off of features with 'synclient')
<merge key="input.x11_options.TouchpadOff" type="string">2</merge>
(Turns the mouse pad tapping (and other) features off)

I can still do:
synclient TouchpadOff=0
to turn the features on.

My /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi is in the paste bin as an example...
http://fpaste.org/paste/3891

Thanks,
Rocco