Space Allocation Problems

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:22:34 UTC 2009

GERALD HOOPER wrote:
> Hi Red Hat Group
> I recently installed Fedora V7 from LXFDVD95 dated August 2007 on a
> separate hard 20gb hard drive. I then received 250 plus critical updates
> to my system which failed to install because the /var directory ran out
> of space. When I checked the actual space used on my disc by the Fedora
> System it was only 3.5 gb meaning that I had plenty of space left if
> only the system could have taken advantage of it. Is there a tool that I
> can download that will fix this problem for me or do I have to perform a
> manual install using my own size values? If so what are the recommended
> sizes that I should use?
> PS This mail is coming to you from Windows XP on a separate disc because
> the email system on fedora fails to send my mail but still receives it.
> The system fails to recognise my supplier of services on pop.ntlworld.com
> Again any thoughts about this second problem?
> Thanks
> Gerry Hooper
> Thank You
> Gerald Hooper

for your update issue, use the following principle
yum check-update > updatelist
then split up the updatelist file into multiple files
make it a bash script, and make it a one liner to look as following

#!/bin/bash
yum update [package names]

then execute each script (after chmod +x) and between scripts run yum
clean cache

I have used this method in the past, nowadays newer pc's have more then
enough storage, or it is very cheap to add