Disabling mouse taps on Fedora 10

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Feb 17 23:52:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:12:29AM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I believe that executing 'synclient TouchpadOff=1' should do
> > > that...without an xorg.conf but having something
> > > like /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi above (I think I omitted the
> > > 'policy' directory
> >
> > To go back to my posting earlier in the thread, running synclient results
> > in an error message about SHMConfig not existing.
> ----
> assuming...
> - you have installed xorg-x11-drv-synaptics package
> - copied the file referenced to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi
> - identified the specific touchpad in /proc/bus/input/devices
> - added the SHMConfig reference to this 11-synaptics.fdi in the
> appropriate section
> - restarted the computer
>
> you shouldn't get that message
>
> Which part of this are you struggling with?

trying to do it without having to create xorg.conf.

i've done all the steps with the synaptics.fdi file, and it doesn't
seem to disable the touchpad, either. Oh well, it's not a huge deal,
I just thought it would be interesting to know how to do it.

Thanks!

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.