KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 01:12:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have yet to see what is so special about MySQL that makes having it
>>> such a big issue.
>>
>> If anything at all: default accounts must be deleted or secured with passwords.
>
> Ok, bare with me awhile, but ... why? Or are you securing against
> users who turn off their firewall?
>
> Because with a firewall up, an attacker would need to already have
> access to the machine... in which case having passwords on MySQL is
> useless.
>
> Installing mysql-server does not open your firewall.

So you're suggesting that because you have a firewall it's ok to
have accounts without passwords? My sense of system security is
very different from your own... so maybe it's ok with you.
BTW - the accounts I was referring to are those created by mysql, which
are different from the system accounts.
And yes, I know how installs and firewall relate.

~af