firmware loading after bootup, possible?

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 06:44:36 UTC 2009

2009/2/18 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
> There are 2 files in the /lib/firmware directory for this card which I assume
> put it in the digital mode for the correct signal std:
>
> dvb-fe-or51132-qam.fw, not of use unless I feed it a cable signal.
> dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw, which seems to be the correct one.

<...snip...>

> So in my quest to shoot some trouble, I am wondering if there is a way to
> force the reloading of this firmware into this card short of a powerdown
> reboot, which I consider playing russian roulette with hard drive life?

I don't know about your situation but I use a USB wifi receiver, and
for it to work I had to use a similar firmware. And this is what I
did.

1. I put the firmware in /lib/firmware/
2. in /lib/modules/2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64/build/ ran "make
menuconfig" as root, enabled the relevant kernel module. then did a
"modprobe <driver>"

and I was up and running. :) Hope this helps. (btw I got the firmware
from kernel.org, maybe you can look there for an updated version? )

--
Suvayu