multi-boot and grub [SUCCESS]

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:29:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, g wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> What is the magic formula to make this work?
>
> does fc9's '/boot/grub/device.map' show all drives?

It did.

> if not, add.
>
> is fc8 shown in fc9's '/boot/grub/grub.conf'?

No.

> if not, mount fc8 partition, copy lines from fc8 grub.conf to fc9 grub.conf.
>
> if 'no joy', post grub.conf.

Joy.
It should have been an obvious thing for me to try.
Somehow I got the impression that the grub.conf partition
had to be on the same drive as the kernel image and
that if it wasn't, chainloading was involved.

Thanks much.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.