Partition XP disk to add F-10 -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 19 21:07:28 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 12:20 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:

>>> The installer acts like it is going to re-size the Windows partition
>>> if I just click on "Write changes to disk?"  I just got to that point
>>> when I received your message.
>>>
>>> I'm tempted to let it do it!
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>> The action "Write changes to disk?" is not resizing the partition. It's
>> either going to take all of it or use available remaining disk space.
>> I may be wrong, but I think there's an option to install Fedora on the
>> remaining free space of the disk (with Win already installed).
>>
>> If you don't mind spending another hour installing Win... let it go.
>> If you don't want to take chances, get the Live CD and it will be easier.
>>
> ----
> No Aldo - resizing ntfs, ext2 or ext3 partition is indeed an
> installation option. It's in the installation guide...
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-disk-druid.html
>
> and it works, I know because I have used it.
>
> Crai

It appears to have worked except that I got the proportions backward and
gave the smaller partition to Linux!  But I can boot either F-10 or
Windows.  But that worked without a hitch otherwise.  Next I will
install another hard drive it appears equipped for both SATA and PATA so
I can use a 250 gig PATA drive I have in addition to the 40 g SATA.

Then to instal XFCE and embark on the configuration effort, that's
usually good for a week of spare time.

Thank you both for your help.

Bob