KDE 4.2 requires local MySQL Server

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:51:40 UTC 2009

David Jansen wrote:

> We are running into the same problem here. Why is it a problem? Not the
> disk space taken up by mysqld or the little bit of cpu time it
> takes. But the diskspace on the user's home directories. We have a
> shared home disk here for > 200 people, each has disk quota of 0.5 - 1 GB
> and akonadi's database for some users seems to be taking as much as 140 MB
> And that is even without them being actively using it, it's probably
> just an existing addressbook getting converted to mysql database or so.
> I have no idea how big those databases will grow over time.

We're currently working on splitting packaging so that akonadi gets
installed only when really used/needed.  If anyone wants to help or
participate in testing that, jump onto the fedora-kde list for news.

But, that doesn't address the size issue.  Wow, confirmed, my akonadi dir is
~163M.  ouchie.  Looks like another TODO item to look into.

-- Rex