Problem with keyboard layout in kvm virtual machine

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 23 02:35:44 UTC 2009

Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:
> In KDE (system settings - regional and language) I have set the "DE"
> keyboard layout as well. Whenever I switch to "US" there, I immediatedly
> get the correct layout in the Windows guest, and switching to "DE" again
> in KDE brings back the strange layout in Win XP.

You didn't mention what your host architecture was.  man qemu mentions a
-k keyboard language option, but says, "This option is only needed where
it is not easy to get raw PC key‐codes (e.g. on Macs, with some X11
servers or with a VNC display). You don’t normally need to use it on
PC/Linux or PC/Windows hosts."  You could try experimenting with that.

Matt Flaschen