F-10 xmodmap/xkeycaps problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 23 21:27:47 UTC 2009

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> On Sunday, Feb 22nd 2009 at 11:52 -0000, quoth Kevin Kofler:
>
> =>Bob Goodwin wrote:
> =>> Can anyone tell me why xmodmap and xkeycaps
> =>> do not work in F-10 as they do in F-9?
> =>
> =>Because Fedora 10 switched to evdev as the default keyboard driver.
>
> I'm not sure why you think it doesn't work.
One indication that it does not work is that when I run /usr/bin/xmodmap
-e 'keycode 116=degree' in F-9 the key to the right of the right ALT key
produces a degree ° symbol.

The same command in F-10 makes it useless, that same key does nothing
and the cursor down arrow key  generates the degree symbol instead as
well as no longer moving the cursor making it impossible to navigate
though a file listing.

/usr/bin/xkeycaps no longer gives meaningful indications and the menu
for selecting the keyboard type is presented in some very difficult [for
me] to read font.

There are other problems but these are typical of what I am seeing.
There is a very good possibility that I am doing something wrong but I
haven't found it.  I haven't seen anyone else complaining which doesn't
help my confidence ...

Thanks.

Bob