Linux users want better desktop performance (Screw data. Prioritize code)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 23 21:46:49 UTC 2009

Robin Laing wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that
>>

>> What is you comment?
>>

> I will have to try this at home.  My home system is crawling and it
> could be related to some of these settings.  I would like to see other
> fine tuning settings.
>
> I cannot afford a new machine at this time.

While I can, I'm waiting until the first price drop on the 4Q09 32nm Intel chips
to do another build, so I'm not about to replace either. ;-)
Maybe by then SSD will be at a better price point.

However, with memory floating about $11/GB most desktop and laptop systems can
afford enough memory. Because most of these tuning issues address problems
caused by not enough memory. Linux has gotten vastly larger in the last few
years, and if you can match the memory to the requirement you will really
improve performance.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>