Skype and video[Was:Webcam recommendations?]

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:54:27 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm using Skype 2.0.0.72 and I have a Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks,
as reported by lsusb:

idVendor           0x046d Logitech, Inc.
idProduct          0x08dd QuickCam for Notebooks
bcdDevice            1.00

With this version of Skype, I'm able to see other people doing video
conference (better quality with compiz disabled), but I can't get the
webcam working. In Options->Video, the webcam is detected, but when I
push the "Test" button, all I get is this:

Starting the process...
Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 4
Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
Skype Xv: Using Xv port 131
<Here Skype closes and I get the command prompt again>

Nothing catches my eye in the system log. I tried to install
libv4l.i386 but it didn't make any difference.

Any success cases? Any hints on how to solve this?