Easiest Way To Move Thunderbird Mail Folders To Another Computer?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Feb 24 00:07:38 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I have a .thunderbird email client folder on a Fedora 7 x86_64 system
> that I need to move to a Fedora 10 x86 system. It occurs to me that if I
> move this, and then start thunderbird on the new system, I might have
> trouble because of 64-bit code. Also trouble with updating Enigmail. I

There should be noting specific to 32-bit or 64-bit in your .thunderbird
directory.  I know, I upgraded an FC6.i386 system to F9.x86_64 and my
Thunderbird just plain continued to work.

> want to be sure I can sign and encrypt email messages. Am I better off
> just moving
>
> .thunderbird/[salt].default/Mail/*
> .thunderbird/[salt].default/abook.mab

You could just move the entire .thunderbird/[salt].default directory
lock stock and barrel (AFAIK).  Make sure you edit the
.thunderbird/profiles.ini file to properly reflect your default profile.

> What file(s) store the email account information?

They are all buried down in the profile directory structure.

> Or, to make a long story short, can I just tar up all of .thunderbird
> and not worry about conflicts on the 32-bit system?

That's my thought.  Good luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com