How to kill qemu without losing (paused) VM?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Feb 24 21:04:00 UTC 2009

Neil Bird wrote:

>   I admit I may be missing something obvious, I'm new to this VM
> malarkey.  On my F10 running the VM manager (which I'd earlier failed to
> get working but I think burst into life when I manually loaded the qemu
> kmdl):
>
>   I can pause the VMs OK, an come back to them later, but the qemu
> process is still running, taking up RAM and seemingly eating a little CPU.
>
>   Is it not possible to somehow shut the qemu process down on a paused
> VM for later restart?  'Disconnecting' seemed to only apply to the VM
> manager, and still left the qemus running.

If you run KVM you can alt-cntl-F2 to get into the manager, then save a session
and quit. You can then run the qemu-kvm command with options and restart the
session where you left it.

I regret that I haven't done it in over a year and hesitate to quote details
which may be misremembered or just changed. It gives you a place to look, at any
rate.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>