Has anybody else been experiencing problems with F10 hanging?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Feb 24 23:54:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:42:53 -0500
Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> > I'm getting some strange things happening on F10 lately.  In a terminal
> > session if I "ps -ef" or "w" or "ls" or anything of that nature the
> > command runs (sometimes) but never returns the prompt...
>
> Stuff like that usually indicates a kernel bug. Try rolling back to an
> earlier kernel, and see if it helps.

Or a hardware bug. I always try things like running memtest86+ and
examining logs for disk errors or SMART messages, or use smartctl to
run tests on the disk.

I recently solved a completely frozen system problem by changing
sata cables and switching to a different sata port (so don't neglect
checking the simple stuff either).