Fedora 10 64-bit & Wired Network Problems

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:13:36 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 19:00:46 Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 10:24 -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:
> > Have you turned off NetworkManager?
> >
> > > chkconfig --list | grep Manager
> >
> > NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> >
> > You either run the network service or NetworkManager..."there can be only
> > one"
> >
> > ~af
>
> The one detail I forgot to mention. Yes, I turned off NetworkManager.
> NetworkManager doesn't work well with wired networks (at least, it
> hasn't in the recent past).
>
> Any other idea on what could be wrong with F10 networking?
>
> Rick B.

I had a couple of issues while testing F10 (abandoned for other reasons).

Unless you rebooted, you need to make sure you actually *stop* NM as well as
disable it with chkconfig.

You also need to explicitly start the "network" service, if you didn't already,
as without a reboot it won't get run just because you enable it.

Check that you have "ONBOOT=yes" in the ifcfg-eth0 file.

Just for laughs, make sure you actually have an /etc/resolv.conf that mentions
the correct nameserver, ...