connecting cell phone

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Feb 25 21:55:07 UTC 2009

François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I have cell phone Nokia 3120 and I want to connect it to my computer
> with a usb data cable.
>
> When I plug it, I get this in the log files:
>
> Feb 16 16:08:11 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: new low speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 24
> Feb 16 16:08:11 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64,
> error -71
> Feb 16 16:08:11 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64,
> error -71
> Feb 16 16:08:11 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: new low speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 25
> Feb 16 16:08:12 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64,
> error -71
> Feb 16 16:08:12 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device descriptor read/64,
> error -71
> Feb 16 16:08:12 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: new low speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 26
> Feb 16 16:08:12 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device not accepting address
> 26, error -71
> Feb 16 16:08:13 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: new low speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 27
> Feb 16 16:08:13 dipankar kernel: usb 5-1: device not accepting address
> 27, error -71
>

> What can I do?
>
> Thanks for helping.

Looking at your error messages, it could be a simple issue of Linux
running to fast for the phone to accept the address.  I ran into this
with a USB stick.

This is the instructions to get around that problem.  It may work for you.

-----------------C/P
1. Always back up config files before editing them:
sudo cp /etc/modprobe.d/options /etc/modprobe.d/options.backup1
Now open /etc/modprobe.d/options in write mode:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options

2. Add the line:
options scsi_mod inq_timeout=20
and save the file.
Seemingly reloading the module (scsi_mod) does not cause the new
configuration to take hold. What worked for both he and I was to
reinstall the kernel.

3. Type uname -a and take note or memorize the exact kernel version
numer you are using.

4. Use the above kernel number to reinstall your kernel. For me it was:
sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic
This will take a couple of minutes.

5. Reboot and test. This fixed it for Mario and has worked great for me.
Note that there is probably a better way to make the new configuration
take effect other the reinstalling the kernel. Whoever knows what that
is could post that and we would have a better solution.

This confirms that the bug is just that the device does not wake up
quickly enough. These instructions are for anyone who has these key(s)
and is receiving the -110 (and possibly other) errors while attempting
to use them.

A test to see if the above fix will fix your problem is to insert the
key, and shut down the machine. Start it back up, if it recognizes the
drive and mounts it (or lets you mount it), then the above steps should
fix the bug and allow you to use the key normally.

--
Robin Laing