Fedora 10 64-bit & Wired Network Problems - New Problem

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Feb 26 21:55:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 12:23 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
> > I had to install this.
>
> And please, don't short-circuit the diagnose like that.  When I ask
> for specific command output, its not a rhetorical question. I want
> that command output, I don't want you to interpret or act on it. I
> don't want you to go and try to fix anything on your own. I need
> system tool output because the system tool output to diagnose what
> your system state is. Human language isn't going to cut it, human
> interpretation of the output isnt going to cut it. To get an accurate
> picture, I need system tool output exactly as I have requested.
>
> You need to understand, in a lot of cases like this, its a local user
> action initiated issue.
> People will get into these sort of messes because they don't
> understand the implications of their actions.  That's OKAY....mistakes
> happen...people aren't perfect..the computer tools they produce aren't
> perfect...the only things which intuitively understand computers are
> other computers...and skynet isn't here yet to take all the
> frustration away.
>
> As soon as you get to the point where your system is messed up enough
> where you can't figure out how to fix it on your own and  need to ask
> for help.. you need to follow the instructions you are given. Every
> subsequent action you take could further distort the state of your
> system causing more problems simply because you don't know what you
> are doing. You have to be able to admit that to yourself and be
> willing to answer questions asked of you and provide the information
> explicitly asked for.
>
> What I and other helpers need you to do is to be patient and to not
> screw around with it while dagnose your system while its in a known
> but broken state.  It's hard enough remotely diagnosing a system even
> when the system state is static.  The more actions you do on your own,
> and the fewer questions you answer, the harder it is for us..the
> people taking time out of our day..to help you unbreak your system.
>
> -jef

My bad. My very bad. I was in a hurry and annoyed that a simple update
after installing F10 always crapped out due to a conflict. I'm not sure
why there would be any conflicts on a newly installed F10. Regardless,
I'll never blindly remove software again. I re-installed xorg and gnome
and that has fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Rick B.