Force to update to f10, but yum can't bring it into synch.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 27 04:44:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 23:19 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> The initial, commented /dev/sdb is correct, /dev/sda is the master drive on
> this mobo's only PATA interface, and is not normally mounted. /dev/sdb is the
> first SATA drive, and is selected as the first bootable hard disk in the bios.
> So I assume then that my command line to install grub again would then be:
> grub-install /dev/sdb ?
----
it seems odd that you would have it set to /dev/sdb and grub as (hd0,0).
It shouldn't hurt I would think if you did grub-install to both /dev/sda
and /dev/sdb. Most modern BIOS allows you to pick the boot order of the
various drive types.
----
> >> 2. Yum wants to update 435 packages, but many dependencies stop it.  What
> >> is the f10 procedure to bring that up to speed now?
> >
> >----
> >you probably have some packages that have to be manually removed that
> >are blocking the update.
>
> I will probably hit a package that does this eventually, I have it processing
> the updates displayed about 1 yumex screen full at a time, and so far that
> hasn't triggered a dependency storm.  That knocking sound, yeah, you know what
> it is.
----
package-cleanup --orphans will give you a lot of guidance on packages
that it can't update.
----
> I have tons of self compiled stuff here, and will again shortly.  The radeonhd
> driver supplied with the dvd is so slow I can repaint the screen with a 2"
> wide paint brush faster.
----
in theory, that shouldn't have any impact on upgrades IF you put the
compiled stuff in /usr/local
----
> [root at coyote ~]# glxgears
> 1628 frames in 5.0 seconds = 325.495 FPS
> 1636 frames in 5.0 seconds = 327.036 FPS
> 1635 frames in 5.0 seconds = 326.821 FPS
> 1573 frames in 5.0 seconds = 314.521 FPS
> 1455 frames in 5.0 seconds = 290.819 FPS
> 1521 frames in 5.0 seconds = 304.192 FPS
>
> Which surprises me, it feels a heck of a lot slower.  Moving firefox an inch
> to the left takes about 10 seconds as it redraws the whole screen about 50
> times doing it.
>
> It was doing about 900 before I broke it.  And I could move a screen as fast
> as the mouse moved.  Sigh.
----
get the updates installed first. You might find that the rpmfusion fglrx
package is more to your liking though I wouldn't think that there would
much of a performance difference between F9 and F10 w/r/t radeonhd but
then again, I'm not using it.

Craig