Force to update to f10, but yum can't bring it into synch.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 27 05:40:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 00:22 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >----
> >in theory, that shouldn't have any impact on upgrades IF you put the
> >compiled stuff in /usr/local
>
> Often that is not the case, cuz identically named stuff is searched for in
> /usr/lib well before /usr/local/lib.  This would be a great way to just update
> what we needed locally, but the search order makes sure it finds version 1.2.4
> when we've been running 2.2.8 for a year.  So we give up trying to bend it,
> and just build it with a --prefix=/usr and be done with it.  Of course the
> rpms get overwritten and the system eventually goes tits up.
----
your box dude - neither /usr/lib nor /usr/local/lib are ever 'pathed'
environmental variables but rather the compiled software should know
where to look. Obviously you are referring to something specific when
talking about versions 1.2.4 and 2.2.8 and my guess is that you are
referring to amanda which really makes no sense to build/install with
--prefix=/usr at all. In fact, you should just be building rpms and not
compiling from source but that's a discussion that we have had before.
Well written software would search /usr/local/lib before /usr/lib if it
were built with --prefix=/usr/local (which should be the default).
----
> Now, if someone could tell me how to make it search /usr/local/* first, I'd be
> glad to follow those guidelines.  I'd step into my src dir and rebuild and
> reinstall everything there to put itself into /usr/local then.
----
I sort of thought that this was the default.

try typing 'echo $PATH' and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I
gathered that the order presented from that command is also the order
that the commands are parsed.

Craig