grub

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 16:13:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> Hi Mikkel,
>>
>> I am not sure about what you said.
>> Even not saying root (), grub should find the image if device.map is
>> correct ?
>> Anyway, I tried what you said by setting root (hd1,4), but stil it does
>> only find the image on hd0,7 !!
>>
> What I am saying is that the root directive must point to where the
> kernel and initrd are on the disk. Do you have the
> vmlinuz-2.6.23.17-88.fc7 kernel in the /boot directory on /dev/sdb5?

I have the same /boot directory on both disks

this is the fstab

/dev/sdb5               /               ext3    defaults        1 1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys            sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdb6               /usr            ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb10              /tmp            ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb11              /home           ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb9               /usr/src        ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb7               /usr/lib        ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb8               /usr/local      ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb12              /iso-image      ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb1               swap            swap    defaults        0 0

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy             msdos,auto      noauto,owner

/dev/sda6       /mnt/winnt-home         ntfs    umask=0222 0 0

> It might help if you post /etc/fstab of the new F7 install. You may
> have a separate /boot partition, and that will change things. In any
> case, when you update the kernel on either F7 install, you are going
> to have an interesting time booting until you update then kernel on
> the other one.
>
> There are other ways to manage this, but lets take things one step
> at a time and get what you are trying here working, and you
> understanding what is going on.
>
> One other point - you should really upgrade to a newer version - F9
> or F10. F7 has not been supported for 6 months, and F8 is also
> unsupported now.

I will make the update, as soon as I will have understand what is going
on.

Ths grub version in FC10 is almost the same as in FC7

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk