Question re deprecated rcN.d launched utils

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 28 02:28:59 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 17:23 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Touring the system investigating selinux alerts naming the
>> Console*-daemon, it came to my attention that I had the start-stop links
>> for ConsoleKit, LISa, and fglrx laying around, but that there were no
>> corresponding files at the other end of the link in ../init.d.  So I nuked
>> them.  Inspecting the ConsoleKit packages seems to indicate those files
>> are not now part of the system. However, it was strange in that I could
>> not rm them by typing the names, but had to copy paste the names into the
>> command line.
>
>What do you mean by "I could not rm them by typing the names, but had to
>copy paste the names into the command line"?

Exactly that, I was looking at the name as shown by ls, and typing it exactly
& got a "file not found", but a copy/paste from that ls listing and it worked.
Oddly, in both cases the K or S in the link name was lower case, in both my
typing, and in the copy/paste echo displayed.  Strange...

>> That seemed odd, but on
>> further inspection with htop, the 50+ copies of ConsoleKit normally
>> running on my F8 system are also on the missing list.
>>
>> Is this something I need to fix ASAP?  According to yumex, all the
>> ConsoleKit stuff is installed.  Looking at SEadmin, the consolekit policy
>> module is version 1.2.0.
>
>Use "rpm -V <package>" to verify the installation of <package>.

Hmm:
[root at coyote sbin]# rpm -V ConsoleKit
[root at coyote sbin]# rpm -q ConsoleKit
ConsoleKit-0.3.0-2.fc10.i386

And to cover all the bases:
[root at coyote sbin]# rpm -V `rpm -q ConsoleKit`
[root at coyote sbin]#

Now, the fedora kernel disabled selinux, and I just did a touch /.autorelabel
before I rebooted last, and went to work on some furniture for the hour plus
that takes since there is nearly 2TB of drives here.

>poc

Thanks Patrick.

--
Cheers, Gene