Unrecognized Hard Drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jan 1 16:39:37 UTC 2009

Jorge Luis wrote:
> I have a 200 MiB Maxtor HD that isn't being seen by the OS.  I have it plugged
> into the system through an EIDE/USB converter hub.  It appears that the drive
> isn't recognized, but the hub device is.

It would be handy to see the messages in /var/log/messages when you
plug the drive in. It would also help to know more about the
EIDE/USB converter. Does it have its own power supply, or is it bus
powered? Has it worked on any other machine?

If possible, power up the drive and let it spin up before plugging
in the converter.

Mikkel