Attempting DVD install :Fedora 10 x86_64 missing rpm?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 5 05:02:25 UTC 2009

Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Ernest L. Williams Jr. writes:
>>> Can't get the DVD iso for FC10  x86_64 to install properly.
 > I'm trying to install Fedora 10 x86_64 on a DELL Precision M90. Having
 > downloaded the install DVD, verified its checksum to ensure proper
 > download, burned the ISO to disk, tested of the installation media prior
 > to installing.
 > After choosing the upgrade option, I get a message that
 > "eclipse.-nls-zh-xxxx-.rpm" could not be read, giving me the option to
 > eject the disk or reboot"
 > Where the xxx above is some version number.  I confirmed the file on the
 > DVD installation disk.  So, I don't know what could be the problem.
My advice would be to:
a: write down that actual version number - perhaps there is a mismatch
between what the installer is requesting and what is actually present ?

b: check that the files in question are definitely readable by the same
machine:
1. boot the same machine, perhaps by booting the dvd and appending
rescue, or using a live cd etc.
2. mount the dvd
3. cp the eclipse-nls* files from the dvd/packages folder to somewhere else.
4. save the attached eclipse.sha1sum to the same location
5. sha1sum -c eclipse.sha1sum

Did all files pass [OK].

c: workaround file read issue by not trying the install eclipse during
the installation (do it after you boot up). You may find there are
further disk reading problems though. This could be because it is an
aging dvd drive, or it might have trouble once it gets hot etc.

DaveT.