USB stick with ext2?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 12:12:46 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Alan Evans wrote:
>> Is there a way to make that work
>
> Yes. Make a directory on the stick with your user permissions. The "/"
> of the usb drive will always be owned by root through HAL/dbus/gvfs

No - ext2/3/4's root inodes are just regular directories and can be
owned by any user as Ed already mentioned. I set most of my removable
media to be owned by my normal UID/GID for exactly this reason (they can
also be labelled with xattrs for e.g. SELinux if required).

> AFAIK. You could setup a special fstab line for manual mounting without
> requiring a folder, but I don't know if there is such an option in the DE.

AFAIK, you still can't do that with ext2/3/4 - they do not support a
uid=/gid= mount option like vfat that would allow you to change
ownership of the entire file system at mount time.

Regards,
Bryn.