Help -- can't SSH into my box

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 12:40:03 UTC 2009

John Aldrich wrote:
> Well, for some strange reason, since installing Fedora 10, I can no longer
> SSH into my box. I've got SSHD running, both on the standard port and on a
> non-standard port. I don't even get a username/password prompt. Just a
> timeout error. Funny thing is I can SCP into the box all day long, I just
> can't SSH into it.
>
> Some things I've tried (in this order):
> 0) Put an exception for SSH and non-standard port in the firewall rules.
> 1) Disabled firewall entirely.
> 2) rebooted my router
> 3) Disabled Fail2Ban
> 4) Restarted networking
>
> Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to connect to my box.

I'm curious to know what, if anything, appears in /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure when you attempt to ssh in, as well as what appears when you
successfully scp in.

Also, the fact that you're running sshd on a non-standard port implies that
you've edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  Could you try the default sshd_config, just
for comparison?  It's entirely possible that you're doing something that should
be valid, but that some other security policy (PAM, SELinux, etc.) doesn't
correctly handle in the default configuration.

-- Chris