Installing Fedora 9 on an old dual xeon w/scsi

Aaron acseeley at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 08:13:24 UTC 2009

a bit of background..  I am a newb who just recently became interested in
setting up a home server and Amahi caught my attention, which requries
fedora 9..

I am running a dual xeon 1.7 and trying to install to a 17gig scsi.

I followed all indications and downloaded the x86_64 dvd iso and burned it
without issue.

Upon bootup I got the msg that it was the wrong kernel and that I needed an
i1586..  After a bit of poking around I found that this is the msg you
get when
you are trying to install 64 bit on 32 bit.

So I downloaded the i386 dvd iso and burned it without issue.

It gets a bit further in the vmlinuz, until you hit agpgart: Detected an
intel
i860 chipset, and then hangs (keyboard locked, 3 finger salute no worky)

Now before I go and download another version, I need to know which
version thatmight be if it isn't either one of the 2 I have already
tried?  If the version isn't the problem, then what can I do/change
about what I am doing to make this
puppy fly?

Thanks for the help,

Aaron