Mount usb drive with mount -a fails after f10 upgrade

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 12:41:01 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Joe W. Byers <ecjbosu at aol.com> wrote:
>> Mount count:              8
>> Maximum mount count:      1
>> Last checked:             Sat Jan  3 14:45:33 2009
>> Check interval:           15552000 (6 months)
>> Next check after:         Thu Jul  2 15:45:33 2009
>

> Take a moment and review what those lines in the tune2fs output mean
>
> the ext2/ext3 filesystem can be configured via tune2fs to require a
> fsck check periodically in two ways.  One is mount count and the other
> is time interval since last check. You have both ways configured. And
> more importantly...the filesystem is configured to require a check
> after ONE mount!
>
> The system is doing exactly what the filesystem superblock is asking
> it to do..do an fsck after each mount.  This is not what you want.
>
> use the tune2fs  -c option and set the maximum mount count to
> something sane or turn it off completely.
>
> -jef

Jeff,

I never set this. I hooked this drive up in 2005 and have been using
without any issues since until this upgrade.  My server would reboot and
notify me that this needed a check and I did it or did not.  Never was a
problem until this upgrade.

The only interesting thing with EL5 was the usb would not mount during
the normal mounting sequence but give me an [Failure], then mount later
on during the boot up.  I never really worried about that because the
usb drive was getting mounted automatically.  Now it is not and that is
was I need.

Joe