Python Guru needed

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Wed Jan 7 22:48:05 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> FC 10/KDE
>
> I'm trying to set a simple Alarm Clock in FC10 and I have a Python
> script I picked up, but I have error, running the script.
> Can you explain to me with # comments on each line how to make this work.
>
> import time
> import os
>
> not_executed = 1
>
> while(not_executed):
>   dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
>   hour = dt[3]
>   minute = dt[4]
>   if hour == 5 and minute == 45:
>     os.popen2("open /Users/jun/shout.mp3")
>     not_executed = 0
>

> Error Message;
>
> $ python AlarmClock
>  File "AlarmClock", line 7
>    dt = list(time.localtime(time.time())
>     ^
> IndentationError: expected an indented block
>

> Thanks  Jim

In Python indentation matters.  And it needs to be consistent within a block.  The python interpreter is telling you
that you should have started an indented block at the while but there is no indented block.  Do a search for a python
tutorial on the web or go to http://www.python.org and I think there is a link to a tutorial.

Do you have the original of the script?  It should have the correct indentation.  I've also indented it correctly above.