Is this problem solvable?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jan 10 00:43:18 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 15:51 -0800, NiftyFedora Mitch wrote:
>> There is no default way to remotely reboot a Linux system!
>
> If one faces the possibility that one might remotely screw up hardware,
> it can be worth your while to install watchdog hardware or software,
> that will reboot a system if it's not kept happy (such as being unable
> to do something over its network).

IBM sells a card called RSA which has its own network connection, and which can
provide console access, machine status, and reboot via system message or power
cycle on command.

> e.g. Periodically it tries to grab some external website file, if it
> can't after 15 minutes of trying, try rebooting once.  The additional
> clauses ignore temporary network issues, that may resolve without your
> involvement, and to avoid going into a continual reboot cycle.

You could set it up to reboot if it doesn't get a call *in* after a set time.
Depends on config if that's practical or not.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>