How does autofs/udev decide where to mount partitions?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Jan 12 18:00:51 UTC 2009

McGuffey, David C. wrote, On 01/12/2009 12:25 PM:

>> I'm trying to figure out how my Windows partition gets automagically
>
>> mounted as /media/disk.
>
>> # mount

>> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
>
>> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk
>
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

>> I used to have a line in /etc/fstab that mounted it at /mnt/c_drive
>> but something overwrote fstab and removed the line
>

>> Now in /etc/init.d/fuse I see this line
>>    if ! mount -t fusectl fusectl $MOUNTPOINT >/dev/null 2>&1; then
>

>> which explains the first mount output line but I can't find ant
> reference
>
>> to /media/disk for the second line. I would guess that is has
> something to
>
>> do with udev. I see a file
>
>> /etc/udev/makedev.d/99-fuse.nodes that just says fuse
>

>> Can someone give me an overview on how this is supposed to work.
>

> I just encountered that also.  I have built a dual-boot system which has
> F10 on one side and WinXP on the other.  F10 is installed on hd0 and the
> second partition of hd1, while XP has the first partition of hd0.
>

> Under F7 (prior release I was using), I had an fstab entry that
> automatically mounted the second partition (ext3) of hd1, but the ntfs
> partition would never get mounted. I don't want that ntfs partition
> mounted *AT ALL* under linux.

as Rahul Sundaram said some time back...
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-March/msg02024.html
controlling how and when drives are mounted is obfuscated somewhere in the
layers of
"Udev. HAL, DBus and gnome-volume-manager/KDE equivalent.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7745
"

also useful reading:
"Howto prevent F9 from mounting all mountable partitions"
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-September/msg00862.html
"How to hide a disk?"
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-December/msg01207.html

And Uh No I don't have it figured out yet either.

--
Todd Denniston