switch user in kde 4.1 (F10)

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 19:31:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>> Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>>
>>  switch user is not working when using kde 4.1
>>>

>> KDE's switch user functionality requires one to use kdm display manager.
>>  To do so, add to, or create, /etc/sysconfig/desktop to contain
>> DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
>> and reboot
>>
>> -- Rex
>>

> Will the switch user using kdm allow gnome users as well?  My family is
> mixed.  KDE and Gnome.  I am about to install F10 on my machines at home and
> I need to know this.

In the few tests I have made, I could switch either gnome or kde.  However,
truth be told,
gnome in F10 is (presently) unable to save the current session, a
fundamental feature for me. KDE, on the other hand, is pretty usable for my
needs. Once you get used to its new look, everything seems natural and
clean.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ