mount question

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 19:24:50 UTC 2009

---- Fennix <cn.stefan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 16:23 +0000, Steve wrote:
> > > If I let HAL & friends automagically mount my Windows partition mount
> > reports this:
> > >
> > > # mount
> > > /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk
> > (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
> > >
> > > The problem is that I want this partition mounted on /mnt/c_drive not
> > > /media/disk so I tried to add a line to /etc/fstab as follows:
> > >
> > > /dev/sdb1    /mnt/c_drive       fuse
> >  rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096
> > > 0 0
> > >
> > > (I started with a type of fuseblk instead of fuse but that didn't work at
> > all
> > > and note that fuse is not documented in the mount man page)
> > >
> > > but then as root
> > > # mount /dev/sdb1
> > > /bin/sh: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied
> > >
> > > # ls -l /dev/sdb1
> > > brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2009-01-12 13:24 /dev/sdb1
> > >
> > > It's not a selinux problem because I'm running in permissive mode:
> > > # sestatus
> > > SELinux status:                 enabled
> > > SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> > > Current mode:                   permissive
> > > Mode from config file:          permissive
> > > Policy version:                 23
> > > Policy from config file:        targeted
> > >
> > > This is on an F8 system and I'm trying to get my backup to work so I can
> > upgrade
> > > to F9.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong here?
> > ----
> > perhaps you are just trying to use too much muscle
> >
> > why not just let it mount like it does and use a bind mount elsewhere...
> >
> > mount --bind /media/disk /mnt/c_drive
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > --
> >
> Hi Steve,
> I think that this issue has been discussed in prior releases of
>  Fedora....you can scan the archives for more detailed information.  If my
> memory serves me correctly, I think that the initial part of fstab for
> static devices is preserved and you should put your entries there.  The
> non-static devices are added/appended to the end of fstab and upon reboot
> and any entries added to that portion will be "flushed."
> When mounting windows partitions in prior installs of Fedora I would put
> them immediately after the "logvol" entries and thereafter had no problems.
>  This should work for you with FC8.  I hope that this is of some assistance
> to you.  Regarding fuse partitions I am sorry that I have no experience to
> offer to you in this area.
> Fennix

Do you have any keywords beside fstab and mount that I can search for? There are too may hits in the archive on either of these words.

I don't see any mention of this kind of different behaviour or split in fstab in any od the fstab documentation. Is it documented anywhere ele?

I'll try your suggestion and move the line higher up in fstab this evening.

Thanks,
Steve