F10 Installation: Unable use Add/remove packages or Yum

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jan 16 17:04:56 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> F-10 Repository:
> Fedora 10 - i386
> Fedora 10 - Updates
>
> 1. Add/Remove Software:
> No results were found.
> Try entering a package name in the search bar.
>
> 2. Yum update
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Could not retrieve mirror list
> http://mirros.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=i386
> error was
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> repository: fedora,
> Please verify its path and try again.
It appears, the for me, NetworkManager is not working correctly,
so I used network instead.  I am able to get access to all local lans
and FireFox works only for local connections - not for Internet
(outside) connections. I found a real quirk with the network tool,
it messes up the settings badly, like placing Default router into
Netmask.  Very odd, so I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
(and checked Networking) and manually enter the correct values.  I have
had to do this before in F8 and in F9.  Seems like a reoccurring theme.

Clearly, I am unable to get the F10 to reach the default router
(or so it seems), so I checked the routing tables:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask          Flags  Metric   Ref
Use   Iface
10.1.0.0                *                255.255.255.0   U
0           0        0      eth0
link-local             *                255.255.0.0       U
0           0        0      eth0
default               sonic            0.0.0.0               UG
0           0        0      eth0

Which matches my F9 routing tables.

I cannot figure out why I cannot reach the Internet (default router)
as I am able to access the entire local LAN system...  What am I
missing here?

> What do I need to do to fix this, please?
>
> [ Notes:
> 1) I had to type this all out by hand - could not get Places->Networks
>    working, no matter what I tried.  Network access to LAN works, but
>    somehow, browsing of network via SMB does not work, and yes, I did
>    use the System->Administration->Authentication SMB settings
>    as there was nothing else available that I can see to configure
>    smb, other than manually editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file,
>    but even my changes to this file does not seem to work either.
       Update: Samba was blocked by Firewall by default.  Checking
       Samba in Firewall tool enables the Places->Network to appear.